Friday, November 20, 2009

New England Experiences

It is beginning to get colder here in New Hampshire, at least in the morning. As the mornings get colder I've been doing my morning duty at school. The students are out on the lacrosse field and are usually throwing around a football or kicking a soccer ball. The grass is white - covered with morning dew that has frozen. Those of you in the south would recognize this as the most we can ever expect from winter - although occasionally we do get "snow."

The students have a curious balance on this field of ice. They slide across the grass as if they were starring in Risky Business. It is truly amazing to watch. They know it will happen. They aren't trying to do it (all the time). They usually remain upright!

The soccer ball rolls through the grass as they play. It naturally leaves a path through icy snow. The other day I was standing beside a student who kicked the ball. The ball seemed to explode as he kicked it. I was startled and asked him what happened, still thinking the ball was ruined. As I watched the ball continue to be kicked with no apparent harm, the student said, "I think it was just the ice." The ball had picked up the dew, frozen while it was rolling and when he kicked it harder than it had been kicked for a few minutes the ice shattered in dozens of directions making the ball look like it was destroyed. I've never seen anything like it.

Yesterday, I had to drop off my car at the mechanic to have our windows repaired. The mechanic was only about a mile to the school. I decided to walk rather than find a ride (rides were offered but I could use the exercise). The problem was not the mile - the problem was the 19 degrees. I crossed the river that runs through town. I looked down to see ice chunks floating down the river.

Some of you know, the rivers here freeze in the winter. Logically, it makes sense that if it is 19 degrees outside the river will freeze. However, I usually see this from the comfort of my heated car and not from 15 feet away. It suddenly became SO COLD!

Thank you for all of you who have prayed for me and my family in this last year. As the winter begins to come into full force, please continue to do so...

No comments: